Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Atheism 101 Pt.3 What I Believe

When I started to embrace the word atheist, I began to notice how describing myself with that controversial label stopped dialogue with others. People easily became silent. I thought that folks would engage me in conversation, but they did not. I guess they thought the worst of me and my stance. Who knows?

What I gleaned from those awkward exchanges taught me how important a god concept remains to a large number of people in society. I used those situations to think about what I actually do believe in. My lack of belief in god does not make me an empty person, contrary to popular ideas. I believe in lots of things, just not god or the supernatural.

Here is a list of things I believe in:

1. I believe in the potential of all human beings.
2. I believe in freedom.
3. I believe in regular exercise and maintaining a healthy diet for good health.
4. I believe in now and living in the moment.
5. I believe in democracy.
6. Even after all of the atrocities committed by this country against its citizens and others, I still believe in the ideals of the United States of America.
7. I believe in my family.
8. I believe in having healthy relationships: familial, platonic, romantic.
9. I believe in mutual monogamy.
10. I believe in the Detroit Lions. It may take more faith to believe in them than in jesus.
11. I believe in the resurgence of my hometown, Detroit.
12. I believe that education can open doors for people.
13. I believe that power, authority, wealth, and influence should be used to help improve the lives of others.
14. I believe the arts can touch the psyche of people in a way that allows us to experience the sublime.
15. I believe that my life will have meaning.
16. I believe that when I die, I will simply cease to exist.

These three ideas describe me:
Atheist describes my lack of belief in the supernatural.

Agnostic describes my lack of knowledge in objectively measuring the supernatural.

Humanist describes my faith in humanity solving its problems without the need for perceived supernatural intervention. If we wait on god to fix the problems in the world, they will never get fixed. It is up to us to make the world a better place.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, lessee: Number 6. I am sure you are talking about the original ideals for the USA. The current ideology of the 77% sucks pond water :-)

    Number 10. Around here it's the Denver Broncos. And it's going to take a F-Ton of faith to believe in them this year.

    Number 16. I'm Agnostic on what happens when we die. Who knows?

    BTW, I saw your post from Ex-christian.net on Facebook and I liked it. That's how I found you. Hope you don't mind.

    H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the most of the founding principles of this country...
    At least the Broncos went to the Super Bowl and have a still great QB in Peyton Manning...my Detroit Lions...smh
    Even if I continue to exist, I won't be the me that I am now...when I take my last breath, that me is gone forever...

    Thanks for following H! I appreciate your comments.
    bf3

    ReplyDelete