Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Christian by Chance

As many before have stated, a person's religious beliefs are partly based on location. In other words, where a person lives plays a significant role in what they believe.  For example, if a person grows up in Saudi Arabia, chances are they will practice Islam. If another person grows up in Tibet, chances are they will practice Buddhism.

These two general examples deal with people living in relatively homogenous cultures. Even if you consider a heterogenous country like the United States, the dominant religious culture affects all area of life in this country. People from different backgrounds have to assimilate into the cultural norms of America.

My life began in Detroit, MI, a very religious area with churches all over the city. My parents were Christian and thus "trained me up in the way that I should go." That means my goal was to accept
christ as my personal savior, join the christian band and fight on the battlefield for my lord.

Christianity is a belief system that prides itself on giving people a choice. "Choose ye this day, whom you will serve." When I begin to think about choice, what choice did my ancestors have with regards to Christianity?

I am descended from people who were brought to the future United States against their will. My ancestors probably worshiped the West African gods of the Yoruba. I will never know for sure because that history no longer exists due to the brutality of the Trans-Atlantic Slave trade and the total disregard of the humanity of my African forebears. These people, stripped of their language, culture, and identity, no longer had a place to call home.

Growing up I really didn't have a choice with regards to Christianity. As a man, I now have the choice to walk away from a belief that no longer fits my outlook on life.

No comments:

Post a Comment